Plan Would Use Software, Not Devices, to Fight Piracy

thing thing at thing.dyndns.org
Wed Apr 16 11:39:22 PDT 2003

R. A. Hettinga wrote:

>At 6:16 PM +1200 4/16/03, thing wrote:
>

>>All that will happen is
>>people will be forced into one camp or another, and Im willing to
>>bet  once ppl move into the pirated camp they wont be able to get
>>back, and  wont want too.
>>

>More to the point, "piracy", meaning the auctioning of *any* copy,
>for bearer form internet cash using protocols everyone on these lists
>know by heart, is *desirable*, and, I would claim, inevitable.
>
>Inevitable because it's cheaper, it already is, :-), but I mean
>risk-adjusted transaction cost compared to book-entry DRM markets,
>and, in addition, will put more revenue in the pockets of actual
>innovators of new content.
>
>Cheers,
>RAH

Totally agree, its just a question of time. I have a friend who is a
musician/composer her intent is to publish on the Net, me I'll do the
technical stuff for her. In the past the music houses distributed the
music, now they are not needed, the marketing they do is less and less
and worse and worse. I think the musicians  pay for such stuff anyway,
so why precisely do we need the likes of Sony? They are just churning
out the same stuff, while new musicians struggle and are ignored.
Cutting out the middle men who offer smoke and mirrors means we as
consumers pay less and the creators get a fairer return, I cant wait for
it.

While all this DRM , Palladium is fine for the US, I dont see it being
saleable anywhere else, and I suspect the "youngsters" will avoid such
crippled kit like its the plague in the US. Some of the suits seem to
forget we have choice or think they have removed that choice, I very
much want to prove them wrong.

regards

Thing