Reason's Cathy Young complains of post-9-11 "panic-mongers"

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Wed Apr 16 18:02:12 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, April 16, 2003, at 04:04  PM, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> http://www.reason.com/cy/cy040803.shtml

> Should we be on guard against sacrificing civil liberties to national
> security? Yes. But despite the panic-mongering, this is still America,
> and we still have checks and balances. Journalist Steven Brill, whose
> book After examines post- Sept. 11 America, notes in a Salon interview
> that judges and legislators, including Republicans, have curbed some
> of the excesses of John Ashcroft's Justice Department.
>
> Measures such as limiting terror suspects' communications with their
> lawyers in order to prevent potential terrorist acts are
> controversial, and rightly so. But they are a far cry from Stalinism.
> Yes, this is a different America than it was on Sept. 10, 2001. But it
> wasn't Ashcroft, President Bush, or the Republican Congress who
> conspired to rob us of our freedom; it was the terrorists.

I hope someone kills the bitch.

--Tim May

"We are at war with Oceania. We have always been at war with Oceania."
"We are at war with Eurasia. We have always been at war with Eurasia."
"We are at war with Iraq. We have always been at war with Iraq.
"We are at war with France. We have always been at war with France."