RSA Show impressions

Steve Schear schear at attbi.com
Wed Apr 16 11:27:28 PDT 2003

This year's RSA show was, like it predecessors, mostly a schmooze
event.  Shrunk at least 1/3 in floor space from the 2001/2 events, it
certainly reflected the changes in this industry.

I was surprised and a bit dismayed that I saw few familiar faces.  A brief
talk with Stacy Cannan, of L.J. Kushner, the leading security industry
recruiter, confirmed my suspicions that many senior level people had left
the industry in the past two years.  The booths were mostly manned with the
latest generation of newly graduated fodder. There didn't seem to be much
activity (or smiles for that matter) in most booths.  This is probably
reflecting the exit/acquisition of some early players, decreased level of
IT spending, and the increasing impact of open source security
solutions.  About the most amusing thing was receiving a "Regime change
begins at home" button from one of the executives.

steve