Kill MS, again, but sideways

Peter Fairbrother zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk
Sat Apr 12 21:04:10 PDT 2003

I got a request from a (US) psychiatrist that m-o-o-t (m-o-o-t is a CD that
boots on your computer, and does secure things) should include an
implementation of VOIP, to allow his patients to securely connect to his
server. I think they are mostly servicemen or spies, but so what.

It's actually easy to do a version that will do that, and if you're
listening, I'll do it soon, and for free to you only  :)  - but m-o-o-t is
based on OpenBSD, and isn't that good at modems. Linux isn't that good
either...

The problem is that the usual, everyday, modem is _only_ supported by
Windows... which thereby gains a competitive advantage, based on it's
monopoly position.

While I have no beef (and being a UK person I eat no beef anyway) with the
idea that there should be a single computing platform/ interface, and I
don't expect manufacturers to do the work, I do think that interfaces used
en masse should, in general, be communal property. That includes modem
interfaces, especially. Apple is no better either here.

I'd like to suggest that those who don't provide details of their modems'
functionality (which is the main problem) should be boycotted. Or killed.
Similar applies to all hardware.

It's not a very libertarian perspective, and I like to think I am a
libertarian - but so be it. The alternative is...

--
Peter

http://www.m-o-o-t.org

ps Tim was right about cosmic rays, it's cosmic background radiation that
does the 1% noise on TV's - which is even more "Cosmic" imo - but then I'm
wrong from time to time.