People converting to the winning side...

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Sat Apr 12 00:06:15 PDT 2003

I'm not surprised to see some of my friends and associates (not
necessarily on this list...I actually do interact with people off-list)
switching sides from being "anti-war" to the other side. They natter
about how Saddam was a tyrant (true enough, and there are a hundred
other such tyrants), to how he must have had the magical word WMD (no
evidence so far, and he certainly didn't use them when he should have),
and how this will prove to the A-rabs that America stands tall
(debatable).

I think of this as warporn. Seeing the tanks blowing up stuff, seeing
the "embedded" reporters riding atop the Bradley fighting vehicles like
Lawrence of Arabia, seeing what a trillion dollars of defense spending
can put into the skies over Iraq...all a kind of warporn.

I was and am against the war for a very straightforward and principled
reason: it is not a valid function of United States government to be
the world's policemen, to be going around removing national figures we
have decided we don't like. Whether it results in cheaper oil for
Chevron (at the expense of one hundred billion dollars for the rest of
us) is not a basis for starting a war.

(Oh, I forgot...Congress shall have the power to declare war....but
they didn't. This is one of those "police actions" that are not actual
legal wars. Maybe the vets should be denied the special pay and death
benefits accruing in actual wars.)

The U.S. claimed Saddam was a monstrous threat, with a powerful army,
with huge caches of "WMD." (Sounds like Israel. Sounds like India.
Sounds like Pakistan. Sounds like us, the U.S.)

The U.N. inspectors were unable to find the supposed WMD. (The
Al-Samoud missile being a pathetic example where the missile met the
allowable range with a warhead mounted, but failed the allowable range
without a warhead...so the U.S. decided the missile without a warhead
was a "WMD" because it exceeded the b.s. allowable range by a handful
of miles. Something out of a Saturday Night Live sketch.)

The U.N. was unable to find the supposed huge caches...and so far the
swarming U.S. troops have failed to do so. Rummy keeps saying "We know
they're there...we'll find them soon."

(This is about time for Rummy to tell the CIA to throw down the throw
down gun.)

The Iraqi army was what it has always appeared to be: a Turd World
primitive army based on graft and corruption and intimidation of
non-officers by officer toadies. In other words, not a serious fighting
force. And yet they were portrayed as threatening the world.

As Chomsky notes, the Big Lie has been hinted at in such a way that
more than half the sheeple in the U.S. are now convinced that Saddam
Hussein was behind 9/11.

(This whole episode ought to be a major new chapter in "Manufacturing
Consent.")

I am ashamed of this once liberty-seeking nation and I am ashamed of my
friends and associates who have fallen for the warporn and embraced the
current imperialism.

--Tim May

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave,
and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for
then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain