"Stay Behind" strategies in Iraq

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Apr 11 12:42:55 PDT 2003

    --
On 11 Apr 2003 at 14:23, Ken Brown wrote:
> In some districts but not all. Apparently - I'm no expert &
> just relaying info from a friend who at least has the
> advantage of being able to speak Arabic and who keeps up with
> Arab news media - quite large parts of the agricultural
> sector are all but feudal. Large farms or whole villages or
> counties are organised on tribal or clan lines, sometimes
> resembling the caste systems of India, with landowners coming
> from one group  (usually in recent years in cahoots with the
> Ba'athists of course) and other clans being landless peasants
> who get work as labourers.

They are not landowners, at least not as westerners understand
owning land  The Sheiks are as hostile to private property
rights as commies or Baathists.  In Palestine, when the British
tried to register land ownership, the people you describe as
landlords engaged in armed resistance.   Hence the Israeli
argument that they are not dispossessing Palestinians, it is
all state property, on which Palestinians happen to be
illegally squatting.

The Israelis intepreted what you are calling landowners as
politically controlling people residing on state owned land.
The British interpreted them as politically controlling small
private landowners.  Much truth in both these interpretations.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     VTMuzOnpoG1p472PapPi1XoJv53GB9odRkOU7Vbr
     47If06Af2zrBtY/1yqg+88xHT0zPZ6DvfRZ5V6ns2