The secret government marches on...

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Apr 10 22:15:09 PDT 2003

    --
On 10 Apr 2003 at 22:24, Kevin S. Van Horn wrote:
> The "empty runways and terminals" is consistent with Fisk's
> report, which appears to have been filed before the actual
> capture of the airport took place.

The attack taking place within hours is not consistent with
Fisk's report.

Fisk did not merely claim that no attack was taking place.  No
one claimed an attack was taking place.

Fisk claimed to have exposed the Americans as lying, and
confirmed Baghdad Bob as telling the truth, in that supposedly
US troops were nowhere near the airport.

Fisk issued a bunch of rhetoric similar to that of Baghdad Bob:

	"the Iraqi minister was right and the Americans were
	wrong"

	"the Americans had been caught lying again"

	"Had the Americans found themselves miles away on the
	edge of the old RAF airbase at Habbaniyeh, one
	wondered, and confused it with the airport outside
	Baghdad? Had they sent a patrol up to the far side of
	the Saddam airport for a few minutes, just to say
	they'd been there? Back in 1941, a German patrol
	briefly captured the last tram-stop on the line west of
	Moscow, collecting the discarded passenger tickets as
	souvenirs - and then got no farther. "

That someone, possibly Fisk (though I suspect him to be in
England, not Baghdad), wandered through an airport lounge and
saw no scenes of battle is doubtless true -- since the pentagon
did not claim to be attacking the airport at that time.  That
Baghdad Bob was right about the location of US troops was not
true.  That the Americans were lying about the location of US
troops was not true.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     a9S0tpaCtCFHBGn0DGv6LFN/K8eXxRxr2FLQwbqK
     4MrIWG0Ir0gNtYK5aZyvwG6iikiag3oFTnboGTFu/