The secret government marches on...

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Apr 10 21:49:02 PDT 2003

    --
On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 08:31:14PM -0700, James A. Donald
wrote:
> > You have failed to read the article -- he tells us when he
> > wrote it. Read his article, and fit the timeline of the
> > events he describes, against the timeline of events the
> > other article describes.  The time at which he claims to
> > have visited the airport in his account was an hour or two
> > before the attack began in the mainstream account.

Declan McCullagh
> You are incorrect. As I said, I read the article. It was
> reposted from another site and it is anything but clear when
> it was filed. The New York Times has a timestamp and
> datestamp;

You do not date it by the datestamp, you date it by the events
to which Robert Fisk refers.

> Perhaps I'm missing something obvious here

I do not think you have read the article.

Here is Fisk's article http://tinyurl.com/995f

Here is the mainstream article http://tinyurl.com/9966

They contradict each other.  Therefore one or both is lying.
Since we now have good cause to believe the mainstream article
true, it follows that Robert Fisk is lying.

> Don't attribute to malice what can be explained by honest
> mistakes; and journalists rarely have the full story at the
> best of times.

Probably Fisk did not know where the American forces were, but
he assured the reader, with great confidence, that he did know.

He claimed to have confirmed Baghdad Bob's account -- the
account of the Iraqi minister of information, an account that
events proved to be hilariously false.  In this article Fisk
claims, claims with enormous confidence and certainty, to
confirm a speech by Baghdad Bob that caused much hilarity among
those less credulous.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     hUerhSZ4SgYnzK+o+9WY+vpqa2fz5wMLUo5P4mdc
     4QTgvRyr+0L2R2DmuDNeXORcSXRqN6x+5NGfxu2AW