The secret government marches on...

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu Apr 10 11:28:12 PDT 2003

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 09:18:36AM -0700, James A. Donald wrote:
> During the past couple of days I have been arguing with someone
> on usenet who cites as evidence for the extravagant
> untruthfullness of the mainstream press, Robert Fisk's report
> that the coalition troops were nowhere near Saddam Hussein
> airport.  (As it was then called)
>
> For his very similar work in Kosovo, Fisk was named "foreign
> correspondent of the year"  (presumably by a committee of lying
> commies who share his ideology)
>
> Looks like Fisk is becoming the new Chomsky.

Fish and I would disagree politically if we ever met in person, I'd
wager, and I have no brief to defend his political views. But from the
perspective of a fellow journalist, well, we sometimes make honest
mistakes at the best of times, and probably even more so in
wartime. You're accusing him of intentionally telling a lie, and to
agree I'd have to at the very least look at the wording of his report.

Disagreeing with a reporter's political views does not mean that all
their claims of fact are wrong and maliciously so.

-Declan