Swiss ISPs Required to Log and Store Email for Six Months

Thomas Shaddack shaddack at ns.arachne.cz
Wed Apr 9 12:48:26 PDT 2003

>    Or people like me who just runs their own email server on a dsl or cable
> line.

Doing the same, see lower.

> Maybe that's why some of the ISP's are trying to force everyone to use
> their SMTP servers. Ameritech seems to be moving in that direction, or
> at least I can no longer email anyone with an ameritech address, as
> the ameritech servers reject it with a "use your local smtp server"
> message.

Or they have your IP listed in a block of "Cable/DSL" and reject mail from
there as suspected spam. (Not everything is done for surveillance, even if
it is the side effect.)

I had a brief correspondence on this topic with RoadRunner, who was
refusing my mail for this reason. The workaround was adding a rule to the
smtproutes file, routing the mails for *.rr.com through another server in
my care, which is on different IP block.