one's first [ OS | language ] is always the best

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Wed Apr 9 19:13:26 PDT 2003

At 06:36 PM 4/9/03 -0700, Tim May wrote:
 >On Wednesday, April 9, 2003, at 02:00  PM, Major Variola (ret) wrote:
 >
 >> At 06:01 PM 4/9/03 +0100, Jim Dixon wrote:
  If your native language is written using a western
 >> alphabet,
 >> >characters are hard to learn.  But once learned, they are conveniently
 >> >concise.
 >>
 >> Yes, one's first operating system is always the best.
 >>

 >If there is any insinuation that this implies to _computer_ OSes, I
 >disagree completely.

I was making a tacit reference to the oft-claimed resolution
to the OS, proglanguage, etc. religious wars.  Ie, a lot
of folks' biasses are due to their personal history.

That you have not succumbed may have to do with
the horribleness of OSes in your past, or mere rationality.

When I hear someone say there are limits to freedom of speech,
I want to pick up a gun.  -Anon, Cpunks 29.3.03