Swiss ISPs Required to Log and Store Email for Six Months

Thomas Shaddack shaddack at ns.arachne.cz
Wed Apr 9 09:41:16 PDT 2003

> SWISS ISPS MUST LOG AND STORE CONSUMERS' EMAIL DATA
> As of April 1, Swiss ISPs will have to keep a log for six
> months of all the emails sent by their customers.  Experts
> criticize the measure, saying it will be both difficult and
> costly to implement.
> http://www.statewatch.org/news/2003/apr/01switz.htm

If I understood it correctly, they want to keep "only" the
traffic-analysis data, the SMTP server logs, not the messages themselves
(though I'd bet they would love to, if it would be reasonably practical).

I am curious if this applies even on provately-operated servers; eg, if
you aren't cheap and instead of an account you buy a colocation server,
with your own mailserver, when the ISP provides only the connection
itself, without additional services.