'Peking' vs 'Beijing'

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 9 11:59:00 PDT 2003

Well, it should be pointed out that learning to read Chinese is not so
unlike learning to read phonetic languages as one might think.

Remember first of all that Chinese does not have "2,000 letters". Each of
the characters is a word, or in some cases two or three characters form a
word. Each character is also made up after an assembly of "radicals", or
basic building blocks (actually, only one of the sub-characters is referred
to as 'the' radical, and that's how they look up a character in a Chinese
dictionary).

And remember that when learning to read, being able to pronounce the word
based on its letters does little for you (when you're small) unless you know
the meaning of that word. So young Enlglish readers have to learn
word-by-word just like young Chinese readers. The english readers get some
help by being able to sound out the word, but the Chinese reader can
possibly pick out the radical and get something of a hint.

That said, it IS harder learning to read and write in Chinese, and this is
why Beijing has indicated its desire to put away the characters one day.
(But that will never happen.)

The reading ramp-up curves occur fairly similarly in east and west, from
what I've been able to tell, but the western curve seems to move towards an
asymptote in HS while Chinese seems to remain linear up through part of
college.

-TD