'Peking' vs 'Beijing'

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 9 11:50:05 PDT 2003

Bill Frantz wrote...

"the third Ming emperor, however, restored it as the Imperial
seat of the dynasty and gave it a new name, Peking (Northern Capital)."

Well, this simplifies things, as it should for an Encyclopedia entry, but it
doesn't explain the "Peking" 'transliteration'. As I said before, there is
no sound "king" in Mandarin. And indeed, "jing" means capital in Mandarin.
So what this paragraph refers to as "Peking" was always pronounced by
Chinese as "Beijing" to each other. The British, however, introduced the
pronunciation "Peking" for some reason. (I may have the history in one of my
books which I'll peruse tonight.)

(For the knowledgeable, it might be argued that the pronunciation 'Peking'
has Manchurian roots, because the Mings were Manchus. But this is not the
case. For one, by the 20th century, the Beijing Court had completely
forgotton how to speak Manchu (only a few dozen people still speak it
today). For two, Manchu is not a Chinese dialect, but derived by one of the
trans-siberian groups. So it would not share the "Bei" sound indicating
"northern".)

-TD