'Peking' vs 'Beijing'

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Wed Apr 9 14:00:10 PDT 2003

At 06:01 PM 4/9/03 +0100, Jim Dixon wrote:
 >I don't think that anyone who has learned to read and write one of the
 >languages based on Chinese characters would agree that they are
 >"atrocious".  If your native language is written using a western alphabet,
 >characters are hard to learn.  But once learned, they are conveniently
 >concise.

Yes, one's first operating system is always the best.

Orientals were self-handicapped by not having a smaller alphabet.
Horrible typewriters, and forget putting the glyphs into a
mid-80's character ROM.  Yes, they're concise, but they
require very high resolution to render.  And, at least some
symbol sets are not phonetic.