Best Windows XP drive encryption program?

David Howe DaveHowe at gmx.co.uk
Tue Sep 24 02:49:24 PDT 2002

at Monday, September 23, 2002 10:35 PM, Curt Smith
<objectpascal at yahoo.com> was seen to say:
> http://www.drivecrypt.com/dcplus.html
> DriveCrypt Plus does everything you want.  I believe it may
> have descended from ScramDisk (Dave Barton's disk encryption
> program).
It has. Basically, the author of Scramdisk took the NT version, added
some XP support, a couple of new algos and launched it as a commercial,
closed source product. The boot-time protection was requested repeatedly
on the SD usenet forum (with several good discussions of different
approaches) and it wasn't much of a surprise that it turned up in the
commercial product.
Personally, I think it is excellent and completely trustworthy - I just
won't use it on principle as I don't run closed-source crypto. I am
sticking with my (purchased) copy of SD4NT for now on W2K, and waiting
on the SD4Linux project to produce something usable for that boot
partition.