Cryptogram: Palladium Only for DRM

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Sep 19 21:15:38 PDT 2002

    --
On 19 Sep 2002 at 11:13, AARG! Anonymous wrote:
> Of course, those like Lucky who believe that trusted
> computing technology is evil incarnate are presumably
> rejoicing at this news. Microsoft's patent will limit the
> application of this technology.  And the really crazy people
> are the ones who say that Palladium is evil, but Microsoft is
> being unfair in not licensing their patent widely!

The evil of DRM, like the evils of guns, depends on who has the
gun and who has not.

If only certain privileged people have guns, and the rest of us
are disarmed, then guns are evil indeed.

If trusted computing means that certain special people have
ring -1 access to my computer, and I do not, and those certain
special people are people I do not trust ...

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     9qfOgx4DuD39ZV1os+Mk6SzsJp3A6f8e/S94djUj
     41XdHA+e/zdxPCIroQznM5ILiFBEOUSYYagF5KQkb