Bush admin cybersecurity report weighs anonymity

Peter Fairbrother zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk
Tue Sep 17 09:39:03 PDT 2002

Declan McCullagh wrote:

> It says the executive branch should consult with privacy groups and
> attempt to preserve civil liberties, but concludes that in some cases,
> privacy could be limited. "Allowing completely anonymous
> communications on a wide-scale basis, with no possibility of
> determining the source, could shelter criminal, or even terrorist
> communications," the draft says.

I wonder whether the authors know that it is impossible to stop anonymous
communications for the intelligent criminal or terrorist who is willing to
jump through a few hoops.

If they don't, they shouldn't be writing such reports, as they are not
qualified. If they do, then I wonder at their motives. The use of the term
"wide-scale" is worrying in it's implication that they do know of the
impossibility, and merely want to prevent anonymity for the masses.

If the motive is to provide general surveillance capability, it is
reprehensible and oppressive. Didn't you 'merkins once fight against
oppressive government?

If it's intended to help catch the dumb criminals and terrorists, they are
mistaken about it's likely effectiveness - tracing is only useful when there
is something worth tracing, and this only happens when people are unaware
that their communications can be traced.

Even dumb criminals and terrorists (who can usually be caught by less
intrusive methods anyway) will quickly learn not to use traceable
communications. Disposable mobile- and pay- phones are already favourites. I
suppose they might be comparing the slight, short-term benefit to be gained
in the ease of catching the dumb against the long-term loss of liberty for
all, and weighing the loss of liberty at naught.

If the motive is to give citizens the feeling that something is being done,
it's just more political bullshit, but with unfortunate consequences. I
can't think of any other possible motives.

-- Peter Fairbrother