Stealth network technology (courtsey of the US military ?)

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Sun Sep 15 21:54:47 PDT 2002

At 07:33 PM 9/15/02 -0500, Neil Johnson wrote:
> http://www.dominionlaser.com
>
>Their big claim to fame is that the electronics (including the laser)
are
>connected to an optical "antenna" by fiber so that the electronics
don't have
>to be exposed to the elements.

Moderately clever.

>They claim that their technology can cut through all but  100% fog,
when the
>rain is falling at 6in/hr etc. etc (This is where the vague comments
about
>being able to communicate between ships in a storm without being
detected by
>DF equipment were made).

Is this choice of IR wavelength or coding techniques or big honking
optics?
Or all of the above?

>The stuff is pretty expensive, however ($ 10K).

AT&T IIRC had something similar, for building point to point.  I think
the alignment
was a bitch, and the cost was similar to that $10K, and wireless overran
that niche.
(Ergo cheapness via volume isn't going to happen.)

A friend of mine was interested in using IRDA to cross a street to leach
off a link (with permission).
He didn't try it AFAIK.  Same concept though.