The Case Against Steganography In Perceptually Encoded Media

Peter Wayner pcw2 at flyzone.com
Sat Sep 14 09:32:20 PDT 2002

>Cypherpunks,

This is certainly a point that many people are coming to believe. But
I think you have to be careful with taking it to extremes. Are there
problems with changing the character of noise? Yes, but as you
pointed out it may be possible to sculpt the inserted information to
conform to the statistical character of the overall file. One of the
simplest tricks is just to insert a relatively small message in a
relatively large file. Any statistical changes will be lost in the
noise. This is a pretty practical solution because there are plenty
of images that take hundreds of thousands if not millions of bytes. A
thousand bytes of text gets lost pretty quickly.

It's also important to remember that there are many tricks that avoid
making changes in the usual way. I'm currently very intrigued with
the potential to rearrange lists of items. (You can try out an applet
here: http://www.wayner.org/books/discrypt2/sorted.php)

I guess it's important not to let an obsessive attention to
mathematical perfection  prevent you from accomplishing something
cool. After all, every RSA key can be factored eventually, but we
still use the system because it's practically secure.

-Peter