Saturday meeting/BBQ/party--last minute comments

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Sep 11 09:07:41 PDT 2002

Last Minute Comments:

* Meeting/BBQ/Party at Tim May's house, Saturday, September 14th, 1
p.m. onwards. Formal agenda to start promptly at 2 p.m.

* I've had a lot of confirmations (not required, except for lurkers and
strangers) from a lot of people, so PARKING is OFFICIALLY BECOMING A
PROBLEM. I live at the top of a  hill serviced by a one-lane road going
from the valley floor up several hundred feet to my driveway above. I
have had parties where about 15 cars were in one of several places:

-- my own parking lot, handling about 4-5 cars besides my own 2.

-- my driveway, handling about 4-6 more cars, depending on whether they
block others!

-- the side of the road at the very top of the hill, handling 3-5 other
cars

-- the rest, I'm not sure where they parked!

* Those who arrive earliest will of course get the best parking, but
may also get hemmed in (blocked) by later arrivals. (FILO)

* OK, so you've again been warned. TRY TO CARPOOL. Twelve cars carrying
2-3 people each will give us a normal 20-30 person attendance. Twenty
or thirty cars will be a disaster.

* About 8 people, counting couples, have contacted me about sleeping
space. The two spare bedrooms are spoken for, and the sofas are spoken
for. For those who still want to stay over, there's some space on the
floor. Be sure if you think you might stay to bring a sleeping bag or
blankets, etc. Also, you may need to go out and move your car around if
others are blocked.

* Directions again follow.

* Several interesting talks are expected...more can be done ad hoc. In
addition, I hope we can talk about meaty issues of where things are
going, besides just the usual griping about new laws. Cypherpunks write
code.

I look forward to seeing you there!

--Tim

Getting to Tim May's house in Corralitos:
427 Allan Lane (MapQuest works well). 831-728-0152

 From Santa Cruz, south on Highway 1. Take Freedom Boulevard exit in
Aptos. Go inland, on Freedom Blvd.  Travel about 5 miles, to first stop
sign. Take a left on Corralitos Road. At the the next stop sign, the
Corralitos Market (good sausages!) will be on your left. Just before
the stop sign, bear right on Brown's Valley Road. Cross bridge and then
bear left as Brown's Valley Road turns. Travel about one mile to Allan
Lane, on the right.

Allan Lane is at about the "360" mailbox point on Brown's Valley
Road...if you go too far and enter the redwoods, turn back! Drive to
top of hill on Allan Lane.  At top, bear left, over a small rise, past
a house on the left, then down my driveway. My house will be the white
stucco semi-Spanish style, with a red Explorer and black Mercedes in
the driveway.

Note for parties: You can park either in my driveway or at the top of
the hill and walk a few hundred feet. Don't block any driveways!

 From points south of Santa Cruz, take Green Valley Road exit off of
Highway 1. Travel about 2 miles to Freedom Boulevard. Turn left. Then
right at Corralitos Road.