A message from Alan I. Leshner, AAAS CEO

Steve Schear schear at lvcm.com
Fri Sep 6 14:49:27 PDT 2002

At 05:07 PM 9/6/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear Colleague:
>
>As the anniversary of September 11th approaches, AAAS continues to
>be engaged in issues that relate to national security and the role of
>science and technology.  One such issue is the safe and responsible
>conduct of research involving biological agents and toxins.
>
>AAAS was recently asked by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to
>assist in alerting our members to the federal mandate (Public Law 107-188)
>requiring all facilities and persons that possess, use, or transfer agents
>or toxins considered a threat to animals, plants, animal and plant products
>and/or public health (called "select agents") to notify the CDC and the
>U.S. Department of Agriculture.  Approximately 200,000 facilities were
>sent a copy of the notification form by the CDC.
>
>The deadline for submitting a completed form to the CDC is September 10,
>2002.  All entities that receive a copy of the form must comply, even if
>they do not possess a select agent or toxin.  If you are in possession of
>a select agent or toxin and did not receive a form, you should call CDC's
>toll-free number: 1-866-567-4232.

Thanks Alan but,

This slippery slope concerning the ability of only approved researchers
able to engage in science has gone too far and has got to stop.  I don't
accept that the "right of society" to protect itself from a few madmen
abusers of technology means we all must carry scientist ID cards.  Most of
the significant discoveries, until this century, were made by
amateurs.  Almost all the R&D I did in the 60s and 70s as an amateur are
now regulated.  If I do any research, using whatever chemicals I choose, I
won't be filing no "stinking forms.

steve