seeking information for Wired News article

Danit Lidor dlidor at wired.com
Fri Sep 6 13:19:21 PDT 2002

Hi there,

I am a reporter at Wired News. We received notice of the upcoming
Cypherpunks10th anniversary bash. I am thinking of writing a short article
about the history and current status of the cypherpunk community.

Obviously, things have changed a lot in the last 10 years. I imagine that
you and other cypherpunks would have much to say on the topic. Please feel
free to rant and rave to me about whatever you feel would be relevant to
this kind of article.

When did the Cypherpunks come into existence? Who were the founding
members? What was the inital purpose? What kinds of people are involved?

Who (socially, i mean, not names!) exactly are the members of the group?
How many at any one time?
Is it a rotating membership, with people coming and going?

There has been a substantial amount of press dedicated to the Cypherpunks,
what's been the community response?

Have their been internal discussions about the repercussions of the media's
involvment and the like?

WN has had a very familiar relationship with the cypherpunks - has it been
viewed as a positive thing?

Have the ideals of the group changed over the years?

Are there any manifestos or official statements from the group that I can
access?

What are the future plans for the cypherpunks?

I attempted to access cypherpunks.com but most of the links are dead, why
isn't anyone maintaining it?
Or is it unrelated to the current community?

With whom else are the cypherpunks  allied?

What do you, personally, have to say about the future of the Internet,
privacy, legislation, hacking, phreaking, cyber terrorism, the governement.
etc?

and finally, who else should I be talking to?

Thanks for your time. I am hoping to get the story done before the end of
next week (i.e. before the actual party.) Of course, I would never publish
the location of the party or any other information that you don't feel
comfortable about.

Danit Lidor
I am also available at 415.276.3925. please leave me a message if I'm away
from my desk. I am more than happy to call you back.

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA