all your greeks are belong to us

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Wed Sep 4 22:17:25 PDT 2002

At 12:53 PM 09/04/2002 -0700, Morlock Elloi wrote:
>I'm not sure which is more funny - this being a hoax or not.

Appears not to be, at least if you can believe "The Register".
I can't tell if "operation of games", as defined under Greek law,
refers to anybody playing the game, or is more technically defined as
"running a business that provides game-playing opportunities to customers",
or if the term "gaming" is the more general term for playing games
or is a euphemism for "gambling", as it is in the US gaming industry.

Foosball appears to still be legal, if nobody bets on it,
but pinball machines are usually electromechanical so they're banned.
And, of course, "Zero Wing", the source of
"All your base are belong to us" is obviously banned.

It's either time to start mailing those poor oppressed Greeks
copies of nethack and URLs for file:\\windows\System32\sol.exe
or else to use this as an excuse to ban Microsoft from Greece,
whichever is a sillier opportunity to insult the politicians.

Of course, there are other places with stupid laws as well;
I've heard that in parts of the US, cannabis plants aren't allowed to grow,
but I've seen no evidence that Nature pays attention :-)