Announcement: Cypherpunks meeting/party/BBQ, Tim May's house

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Sep 4 09:54:03 PDT 2002

ANNOUNCEMENT: Cypherpunks Meeting and Party/BBQ, Saturday, September
14th, 2002. Tim May's house, Corralitos, California.

* WHAT?: Ten years ago this month the first Cypherpunks meeting.
Cypherpunks meeting and party. Several interesting talks are planned,
though nothing of the usual "political action" sort. A flexible agenda
will be posted at the meeting.

I am hoping we can have as stimulating a discussion as we had at our
first meetings a decade ago.

* WHEN?: Saturday, September 14th, 1 p.m. to "late." (A limited amount
of people can stay overnight--ask me about it.) Formal talks will
probably run for several hours, then the informal and BBQ/party takes
over. People can arrive as early as 1 p.m. and hang out, but the formal
agenda will start promptly at 2.

* WHERE?: Tim May's house in Corralitos, east of Santa Cruz and north
of Watsonville. 427 Allan Lane, Corralitos. Detailed driving
instructions at the end of this message...or use one of the many
mappers on the Net. It takes about an hour to get from Sunnyvale to my
house, about 40 miles, so plan your travel accordingly.

* WHO?: Cypherpunks and friends who are not narcs or Feds. Contrary to
some meetings in the past, this is NOT an "open meeting, open to all."
That strategy worked OK for some meetings in public places where
certain kinds of software were to be distributed. But my house is a
private residence. I have nothing against legitimate cops enforcing
legitimate laws, but I don't want persecutors traipsing through my
house, perhaps planting evidence, looking for signs of illegal
activities or grounds for a warrant, etc. This is a PRIVATE RESIDENCE
and I intend to escort to the door anyone who is unknown to others. If
you are a lurker who doesn't know anybody and you want to attend, send
me e-mail and we'll arrange something.

* WHAT ELSE?: Parking may be tight. And because of the distance,
carpooling with your friends would be good. A cat lives in the
house...don't leave any doors open, and tell me if you see him get out.

* CHILDREN?: My house is not child-friendly, and I don't have time to
make sure nothing dangerous is exposed. Please leave children out of
this meeting/party.

* FOOD: If you stay for the evening BBQ and party, bring something to
share. Don't everyone bring a bag of chips! The Corralitos Market is a
popular place for meats, sausages, etc. (Don't everyone bring sausages,
either!) And if you drink, remember the drive home.

--Tim May (location instructions below)

Getting to Tim May's house in Corralitos:
427 Allan Lane (MapQuest works well). 831-728-0152

 From Santa Cruz, south on Highway 1. Take Freedom Boulevard exit in
Aptos. Go inland, on Freedom Blvd.  Travel about 5 miles, to first stop
sign. Take a left on Corralitos Road. At the the next stop sign, the
Corralitos Market (good sausages!) will be on your left. Just before
the stop sign, bear right on Brown's Valley Road. Cross bridge and then
bear left as Brown's Valley Road turns. Travel about one mile to Allan
Lane, on the right.

Allan Lane is at about the "360" mailbox point on Brown's Valley
Road...if you go too far and enter the redwoods, turn back! Drive to
top of hill on Allan Lane.  At top, bear left, over a small rise, past
a house on the left, then down my driveway. My house will be the white
stucco semi-Spanish style, with a red Explorer and black Mercedes in
the driveway.

Note for parties: You can park either in my driveway or at the top of
the hill and walk a few hundred feet. Don't block any driveways!

 From points south of Santa Cruz, take Green Valley Road exit off of
Highway 1. Travel about 2 miles to Freedom Boulevard. Turn left. Then
right at Corralitos Road.