In the Kingdom of Fear.

Matthew X profrv at nex.net.au
Sun Sep 1 04:08:42 PDT 2002

Gonzomeister Hunter S Thomson on 9-11.
Q: what I'd really like to know is your reactions on September 11th ..
could I get you to tell that story ...

A: ... in a low-key way, I had in fact just finished a sports column for
ESPN, and no sooner gone over the wire, and I was on the phone with editor
john walsh, he was saying you have to write about this disaster.
I'd been gong to bed after, I guess my column was late -- TV was on, just
for the news, and I happened to see the first plane hit in my fogged
condition -- I'd been up all night writing the column ... I don't know why,
I'd seen enough real -- yeah there was no mistaking the reality of that,
didn't make much sense, and it still doesnâ??t really but -- here we go,
this is a column I wrote, lets see -- "It was just after dawn in Woody
Creek, Colorado when the first plane hit the WTC in NYC on Tuesday morning
and as usual I was writing about sports. But not for long. Football
suddenly seemed irrelevant compared to scenes of utter devastation coming
out of NY on the television.

Q: you went on to say in that article which I have in front of me that even
ESPN was broadcasting war news. It was the worst disaster in the history of
the US. do you think that the event completely transformed the way in which
Americans see themselves and their vulnerability

A: No, the event by itself would not have done that. I've seen planes hit
the Empire State Building before, I've been blown totally out of my mind,
people have been killed, but it was the way the administration was able to
use that event and use it as a springboard for anything they wanted to do.
Now that may tell you something. I remember when I was writing that column,
you sort of wonder when something like that happens, well, who stands to
benefit, You know, it's like murder, you know, who had the opportunity and
the motive, you just kinda look at these basic things, and Uh, I don't know
if I want to go into this on world-wide radio here, but

Q: You may as well

A: All right, I thought that the US government was gonna benefit, and the
White House people. I thought, a distraction to take the mind of the public
off of the crashing economy. Now you want to keep in mind that every time a
person named Bush goes into office, the nation goes into a drastic
--recession, they call it.

Q: It sounds almost like the plot of that film Wag the Dog, where film
producers sort of concocted a national event to inspire patriotism to take
the public's mind off misdemeanors committed by the president, I mean, it
seems a very long bow to me, but are you sort of suggesting that this
worked in the favor of the Bush administration?

A: absolutely, I sort of had time on the inside of the white house and of
campaigns and I know enough to know that the public version of an event is
never really what happened, and these people I think are willing to take
that even further so that I don't assume that I know the truth about what
went on that day and yeah, well, I just look around and who had the motive,
who had the opportunity, the equipment, and the will. These people were
looting the treasury and they knew that the economy was going into a spiral
downward

Q: from this distance though it does seem extraordinarily conspiratorial
that you, that you could sit there and you could see the hand of the US
government in that rather than saying international terrorists bent on
somehow hurting America and the American people. What sort of reaction did
your views get amongst other journalists?