Confiscation of Anti-War Video

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Thu Oct 31 11:37:44 PST 2002

At 4:13 PM -0800 10/29/02, John Kelsey wrote:
>At 12:01 PM 10/28/02 -0800, Tim May wrote:

>>By the way, there are perfectly good fixes to the current hysteria
>>about things carried on board planes...
>
>I think the best fix is to accept that a determined suicidal attacker will
>probably manage to bring down the plane, but make sure that's the worst he
>can do.  That removes the externality problem.  The current algorithm for
>this is some combination of pilots being told not to go along with
>hijackers' demands, and maybe some chance of getting a military jet in
>place to shoot the hijacked plane down, if it is taken over by the
>hijackers.

Another "fix" that is being used is passengers who will act to keep the
plane from being used as a weapon.  If the hijackers have to kill people
with small sharp objects that they can smuggle on board, instead of mass
killing devices like machine guns, then a large number of passengers can
overcome a small number of hijackers.  (Remember, your seat cushion makes a
good shield.)  If the cockpit door keeps the hijackers out, then there is a
good chance that there will be survivors.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz           | The principal effect of| Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506         | DMCA/SDMI is to prevent| 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at pwpconsult.com | fair use.              | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA