FC: Privacy villain of the week: DARPA's gait surveillance tech (fwd)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Oct 27 11:38:33 PST 2002

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Morlock Elloi wrote:

> > No technical solution will work in absence of laws making it legal.
>
> Sanity villain statement of the month.

The only way to defeat advanced biometrics is to not be physically present
or to use anonymized telepresence devices. Because the latter is hardware,
it is trivial to outlaw. Yeah, sure, you can make them yourself, and clean
them from traces, assuming the components are available and unlabeled. In
theory.

You can't trick an advanced biometrics fingerprint if you're being
scanned. Trying to shield some biometrics looks damn suspicious on your
own.

If you have solutions, spill them. I can't think of any.