Independence and redundncy Re: XORing bits to eliminate skew

Sarad AV jtrjtrjtr2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 19 02:57:01 PDT 2002

hi,

One more query on the same topic.

>Now add a second bit. assume that the bits are (i)
> and (ii) so we know
> that the probability of (i) being 1 is 0.5-e and and
> being 0 is 0.5+e
> (there isn't a bias btw in that notation - e could
> be negative)
>
> so all the possible combinations are
>
> P(i=1, ii=1) =(0.5-e)(0.5-e)
> P(i=1, ii=0) =(0.5-e)(0.5+e)
> P(i=0, ii=1) =(0.5+e)(0.5-e)
> P(i=0, ii=0) =(0.5+e)(0.5+e)

Two events E1 and E2 are said to be independent,if
P(E1(intersection)E2)=P(E1).P(E2)

As in the above case we assume that the bits under xor
are independent.

if the inputs are frm different sources then we
consider them independent.

what about the following case.

i open any two text files in binary mode and xor 1 st
bit of file 1 with file 2,2 nd bit with 2 nd bit with
second bit and so on.

The rate of english varies between 1.0 bit /letter &
1.5 bit/letter for large values of N.

absolute rate of english is R=log(26)base 2=4.7
bits/letter

There is lot of redundancy in the language,0.6 to 0.85
percent redundancy.

Since in ASCII we use 8 bits to represent english
alphabets,the redundancy is 8-1.3=6.7 bits/charecter
of redundancy.

Since in both files opened,english charecters are
represented in the same set of ASCII charecters.

there is redundancy in both the files.
Does that mean that such bits we xor are not
independent?

Regards Sarath.