One time pads

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Fri Oct 18 21:19:03 PDT 2002

At 02:04 PM 10/17/2002 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>It is important to note that currently NMR bases systems only allow for
>6 qubits. Only very recently we're getting practical qubits in solid state.
>Everybody realizes that we're discussing currently completely theoretical
>vulnerabilities, right?

Of course.  But without quantum computing, you can do computations on
your basic cheap computers that are secure against crackers for the
expected remaining life of the universe, so your threat models are
much more controllable.  Obviously you still need to worry about tempest,
computer viruses, cameras in the ceiling, and rubber hose cryptanalysis,
but threat models that just involve someone intercepting your message
aren't a problem.

Quantum computing is the one thing that anybody's thought of that
has a mathematically possible chance of breaking that.