Intel Security processor + a question

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 18 08:54:54 PDT 2002

OK...a follow up question (actually, really the same question in a diferent
form).

Let's say I had a crypto chip or other encryption engine, the code of which
I could not see. Now what if someone had monkeyed with it so that (let's
say) the pool of prime numbers it drew from was actually a subset of the
real pool that should be available for encryption. Let's also say that
"somebody" knows this, and can search byte streams for known strings of
products of these primes. They can then break this cypherstream very easily.

Meanwhile, someone who doesn't know that the code's been tampered with can
try to break the cypherstream using traditional brute force methods, and it
will appear that this is a truly hard-encrypted message.

Now don't get hung up on the details of what I'm saying here...I don't know
if this particular example is possible or not. I'm just wondering iF it is
possible to tamper with crypto code (particularly as embedded on a chip) so
that it appears to all regular users not to have been tampered with, but
meanwhile it allows certain privileged users to access encrypted streams
fairly easily.

AND if this is possible, is there some way to examine the encrypted output
and then, say, search for unusual frequency traces of certain sequences, and
determine tha the code has been tampered with? Or are there ways to tamper
with good cryptocode in ways that can never be detected with actually
looking at the originating code?