palladium presentation - anyone going?

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Thu Oct 17 11:15:38 PDT 2002

Would someone at MIT / in Boston area like to go to this and send a
report to the list?  Might help clear up some of the currently
unexplained aspects about Palladium, such as:

- why they think it couldn't be used to protect software copyright (as
the subject of Lucky's patent)

- are there plans to move SCP functions into processor?  any relation
to Intel Lagrange

- isn't it quite weak as someone could send different information to
the SCP and processor, thereby being able to forge remote attestation
without having to tamper with the SCP; and hence being able to run
different TOR, observe trusted agents etc.

I notice at the bottom of the talk invite it says

| "Palladium" is not designed to provide defenses against
| hardware-based attacks that originate from someone in control of the
| local machine.

but in this case how does it meet the BORA prevention.  Is it BORA
prevention _presuming_ the local user is not interested to reconfigure
his own hardware?

Will it really make any significant difference to DRM enforcement
rates?  Wouldn't the subset of the file sharing community who produce
DVD rips still produce Pd DRM rips if the only protection is the
assumption that the user won't make simple hardware modifications.

Adam