why bother signing? (was Re: What email encryption is actually in use?)

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Oct 4 16:13:07 PDT 2002

James A. Donald:

Major Variola (ret):
> But Ben is not spoofed here!  So there is little motivation.
>
> [...]
>
> In the absence of any need, its not rational to bother.

There have been episodes of spoofing on this list.  If client
side encryption "just worked", and if what is considerably more
difficult, checking the signatures "just worked", there would
be no bother, hence it would be rational to sign

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     j35pZ93cRp46pIhaD4AQ0X3neQjPEV2l9JrKJ2L2
     4Eto77muLU+n+EF8nNrcbcSAMw1Vtdttyl1600R9x