What email encryption is actually in use?

Udhay Shankar N udhay at pobox.com
Wed Oct 2 08:31:34 PDT 2002

At 10:04 AM 10/2/02 -0500, Jeremey Barrett wrote:

>Specifically, Mozilla, Outlook, Outlook Express, Netscape (all the way
>back to 4.7x at least), Evolution, and Eudora all support STARTTLS
>(again, for SMTP). I imagine there are others that do as well.
>
>Amusingly, virtually none of them support STARTLS on any other protocol.
>:) IMAP and POP are almost all supported only on dedicated SSL ports
>(IMAPS, POP3S). Argh.

I use Eudora, as I'm very comfortable with it (so comfortable, in fact,
that it's my primary reason for booting Windows at all.)

The version I use, 5.1, *does* support STARTTLS for POP over both the
regular port 110 as well as alternate ports, as well as user-defined ports.
It needs some tweaking, but the capability exists.

I don't know about IMAP, as I don't use IMAP to get my mail.

Udhay