What email encryption is actually in use?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Oct 2 19:45:47 PDT 2002

    --
On 2 Oct 2002 at 16:19, Adam Shostack wrote:
> Whats wrong with PGP sigs is that going on 9 full years after
> I generated my first pgp key, my mom still can't use the
> stuff.

The fact that your mum cannot use the stuff is only half the
problem.  I am a computer expert, a key administrator, someone
who has been paid to write cryptographic code, and half the
time I cannot use pgp.

Of course, I have had real occasion to use this stuff so rarely
that I suspect your mother would never use it no matter how
user friendly.

The lack of demand may have something to do with Hettinga's
rant, that all cryptography is financial cryptography.  As I am
fond of pointing out, envelopes were first invented to contain
records of goods and payments.  People use encryption when
money is at stake.  If people start routinely making binding
deals on the internet, they will soon routinely use encryption.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     Yek7NX953gkX+mwOcaRKW13pMWVzckXtQLHH7Oqt
     45E6Pq+EKfccaEUOQLWtfPKtgE9yfk5u/o8MMv4HG