What email encryption is actually in use?

Paul Krumviede pwk at acm.org
Wed Oct 2 10:55:50 PDT 2002

--On Wednesday, 02 October, 2002 10:54 -0500 Jeremey Barrett
<jeremey at rot26.com> wrote:

> Udhay Shankar N wrote:
>| At 10:04 AM 10/2/02 -0500, Jeremey Barrett wrote:
>|
>|> Amusingly, virtually none of them support STARTLS on any other protocol.
>|> :) IMAP and POP are almost all supported only on dedicated SSL ports
>|> (IMAPS, POP3S). Argh.
>|
>| I use Eudora, as I'm very comfortable with it (so comfortable, in fact,
>| that it's my primary reason for booting Windows at all.)
>|
>| The version I use, 5.1, *does* support STARTTLS for POP over both the
>| regular port 110 as well as alternate ports, as well as user-defined
>| ports. It needs some tweaking, but the capability exists.
>|
>| I don't know about IMAP, as I don't use IMAP to get my mail.
>|

> Yes, Eudora is the exception. It supports both STARTTLS and dedicated
> SSL ports for all mail protocols (it even does SMTPS I think).

it isn't the only exception: i use mulberry with IMAP, and it supports
STARTTLS for both IMAP and SMTP over the normal ports; haven't
tried POP3, although it looks like it should work. and this seems to
work for mulberry on linux, macs and windows.

-paul