Video Mules: (Was: Re: Psuedo-Private Key (eJazeera) )

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 24 18:44:40 PST 2002

>This assumes the insert doesn't result in negative fitness (could very
>well be, if the insert kills a gene).

If the information is the history of human civilization, that may very well
end up being information of great "negative fitness"! (We shall see...)

Actually, from what I understand, there are huge swathes of every creature's
genetic code made up of "useless" information. Some of these areas are
apparently extremely old and do not change very often...as I remember Hillis
(the guy who started "Thinking Machines" and is currently working on the
Decamillineal clock) identified such an area in the cockroaches DNA and had
the info inserted there. (Our own DNA has apparently a lot of junk also, as
well as fragments of various encounters we've had over the aeons...there are
apparently significant chunks of various viruses' DNA in there and other
stuff...)

>Also, a fitness-neutral insert is likely to be lost, or severely garbled.
>I hope very much he used a really good redundant encoding.

Although some things in a cockroach change pretty often (here in New York we
are breeding a variety of extremely manueverable cockroaches....), the DNA
of the cockroach I think is extremely stable overall (aren't they like 100s
of millions of years old?)