Torture done correctly is a terminal process

Lucky Green shamrock at cypherpunks.to
Wed Nov 20 18:34:41 PST 2002

Adam wrote:
> The Russians, Americans and I believe others have moved from
> physical to psychological methods which have proven to work
> better than actual physical pain.  I recall reading a story
> on Abdul Murad, the Al Qaeda member arrested in 1995 in the
> Philipines, where the way they finally got him to talk ws
> threatening him with being turned over to the Israelis.

I recently obtained an illuminating recording of a speech by a judge
sitting on the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals which was given before the
San Francisco Commonwealth Club. In said recording, the honorable judge
proposes the issuance of formal federal torture warrants. The reader may
or may not take comfort in the fact that the honorable judge firmly
insists that the needles he proposes to be inserted under the
fingernails of suspects should be sterile.

Clearly, at least hygiene has progressed in the last 300 years.

--Lucky Green