News: House votes life sentences for hackers (fwd)

Dave Emery die at die.com
Tue Nov 19 23:13:59 PST 2002

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 12:40:26AM -0500, Declan McCullagh wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 10:48:37PM -0500, Dave Emery wrote:
> > 	I might hasten to add that as I am sure Declan knows, this
> > addition to the Homeland Defense Act also includes the CSEA provisions
> > that turn hobby listening to certain easy to receive but off limit
> > radio signals from an offense with a maximum penalty of a $500 fine
> > to a federal felony with 5 years in prison as penalty.
>
> Dave,
> Thanks for the details about the hobby listening. I looked through
> the bill quickly again, and couldn't find the prohibitions you describe.
>
> The bill as passed by the House is here, with the Senate version near-
> identical:
> http://www.house.gov/rules/homeland.pdf
>
> Got a page number?

	Section 225 (j) (1)  bottom of page 57 and top of page 58 in the
version that the above link points to.

	One certainly would miss it if one wasn't looking for it
very carefully.

	And it makes no sense without refering to the original text
of section 2511 (4).

--
	Dave Emery N1PRE,  die at die.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2  5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18