The End of the Golden Age of Crypto

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 14 18:04:38 PST 2002

"Indeed, I've heard the same. One could argue that for someone to believe in
something (religion) so intensely as to shun all moral explanation against
this hypothesis and to persist in those beliefs without any proof is akin to
schizophrenia."

Well, I'm sure this is not an issue that Cypherpunks is going to want to
spend a ton of time on, but let's be clear here. There's "belief", and then
there's "faith". With belief,the believer refuses to acknowledge and accpet
facts that disagree with their (narrow) worldview. I can't help but put the
"Creationists" in this category. (Even a cursory look at their "science"
makes it clear that there's TONS of information they ignored or explain away
with absurd notions.)

Faith is a different matter. With faith, the faithful see the "facts" (as
they are commonly understood) and still find a way to believe in something
unseen. Belief contradicts reason, faith operates in parallel. I would argue
that great scientists operated with a decent amount of the latter, and
Galileo is a good example. At the time, the geocentric theory was still able
to predict most celestial events better than a heliocentric one. But Galileo
had a deeper intuitive sense that something was "wrong" with that geocentric
theory, and its clumsy and mind-boggling complexity.

Likewise, every now and then one encounters religious people who recognize
the "unreasonabilty" of what they believe. (Indeed, it's not easy to believe
in a God that allows, for instance, the Holocaust to occur). I find these
people very different from the "believer" category, and would place folks
like Michelangelo, Kepler, Newton, Maxwell, Kierkegaard, Galileo, St John of
the Cross (a Spanish mystic tortured by the inquisition) and many others in
this category.

As for being akin to Schizophrenia, I'd point out that Schizophrenia is not
a "mental" disorder per se, but a genetically triggered even that causes a
measurable, physical degradation in the brain (a Schizophrenic's brain can
be identified in autopsies).