eJazeera?

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 10 12:44:53 PST 2002

Well, the rason d'etre of 'eJazeera' as I see it is primarily for
publically-taken photos and videos to be quickly "gypsied" away from their
port of origination (ie, the camera that took them), so that they can
eventually make it into a public place on ye old 'Net. The enabling
technology as I see it here is802.11b, Wi-Fi. A typical scenario is the case
of public demonstrations where the local "authorities" are called in, and
where they get, shall we say, a little overzealous. In many such cases
(here, New York City, Here, USA, and there--China, etc...), such authorities
will attempt to confiscate devices that could have captured the events or
captured the perpetrators (and their badge numbers, if applicable) in photo
or video.

The ultimate aim of eJazeera is to make even the thought of "capturing" such
video non-existent, due to the commonplace practices outlined in an
eJazeera-type document (or eventually tribal knowledge). Short of that, it
is of course in itself desirable for such events to get onto the public
'Net.

The methods can be various, but the easiest one was (I think) described by
Tim May. Bob and Alice are pre-known to each other. Bob holds a camera,
Alice has a Wi-Fi enabled laptop operational in her knapsack. After Bob
takes the photos/video, he transfers the images to ALice, who walks off and
moves the data to a secure and public site.

Other methods seek to eliminate the need for various levels of pre-knowledge
between Bob and Alice, and to also stave off the "round up" scenario where a
large group is examined and cleansed of all electronica, before data can
make it onto the public net. (Less likely in US now, but easily possible
elsewhere).

ALso to be addressed in the document are (possibly) suggested technologies,
down to the actual gadgets and manufacturers, and recommended spacial
resolutions vs distances in order to record, say, badge numbers and facial
features. Also, powering requirements won't hurt, as well as suggested
methods for mitigating power issues.

(Hey--this might be way beyond what's needed or desirable, butI still think
like an engineer).

In a reasonably just world, such images might be used in he short run to
prosecute those that overstepped their legal bounds. Inthe long run, the
commonplace practice of uploading such images should act as a deterrent to
such overzealousness.

As it turns out, however, those POWs being transported were photographed in
such a way as to not need something like eJazeera (unless the scope as I
imagine it is broadened...is it worthwhile to consider the robust creation
of image links etc... on the 'Net?).

-TD