What email encryption is actually in use?

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sun Nov 3 19:34:43 PST 2002

At 12:41 PM 11/02/2002 -0500, Steve Furlong wrote:
>The only business environment I've ever worked in which successfully
>used encrypted email mandated specific versions of mail client
>(Outlook, ecch) and PGP (integrated into Outlook), had a jackbooted
>thug to make sure everyone's keyring was up to date, and had a fairly
>small (couple dozen), mostly technically proficient, user base. And
>even there, half the time the encrypted message wasn't sensitive enough
>to be worth encrypting nor important enough to be worth decrypting.

All of the business email I send from home is encrypted -
not by the mail user agent or mail transfer agent,
but by the VPN I use to reach my work intranet.
If it goes outside the company, it's normally not encrypted.

(Also, non-business email I send when VPN-connected is encrypted,
on the dialup portions, but not past that.)

What would be really nice, and would encrypt a large chunk of
the US's business email, would be for MS Exchange / Outlook mail servers
to adopt STARTTLS for their SMTP services.