What email encryption is actually in use?

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 2 20:01:23 PST 2002

"Prior to that, the encrypted email I've sent in the past year or so has
almost always failed, because of version incompatibilities,"

While in Telecom I was auditing optical transport gear, and we adopted the
practice of encrypting all of our audit reports to vendors. Of course, the
chance of there being an eavesdropper (uh...other than NSA, that is) was a
plank energy above zero, but it gave the vendors the imporession we really
cared a lot about their intellectual property (if we determined a problem
with their equipment, and if that info ever leaked, it could have a major
impact on them).
That the mesages were decrypted I know for sure, and it was easy for the
customers: we would verbally tell them the password for unpacking the
encrypted file, and they merely typed it in a it extracted itself.
I think the encryption tool was installed directly into the file manager (or
whatever it's called now), so it was easy to do.