FC: Hollywood wants to plug "analog hole," regulate A-D conve rters

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Fri May 31 07:40:47 PDT 2002

> ----------

This is the actual paragraph that people are refering to:
[from http://judiciary.senate.gov/special/content_protection.pdf]
- start quote -
The primary means to address this issue, dubbed the "analog hole", is
via embedded watermarks (which have additional applications as will
be discussed below). In order to help plug the hole, watermark detectors
would be required in all devices that perform analog to digital conversions.

In such devices (e.g., PC video capture cards), the role of the watermark
detector would be to detect the watermark and ensure that the device
responds appropriately.
- end quote -

Note that is refers to "all devices that perform analog to digital
conversions".
I agree that compromising all a/d chip is probably not what the MPAA had
in mind (their example is a video capture card, a much more complex beast),
but overbroad language has gotten into too many laws for me to have any
faith
that it can't happen again. What's going to happen when someone publishes
plans to remove the restrictions from a compromised vidcap card, and
explains
how to mail order standard DACs? Will trafficing in DAC chips become a DMCA
violation?

> It's pointless to try to shoot down this proposal by raising all these
> horror stories about ADC chips in industrial and technical devices
> being crippled by a watermark detector which will never be activated.
> If you waste time developing this line of argument, you will be left
> with nothing to say when the actual bill focuses only on the specific
> devices that the content holders are worried about.

	[...]

> Please, let's use some common sense and not go overboard with an obviously
> mistaken interpretation of the MPAA's intentions.  That wastes everyone's
> time.

I agree that the MPAA's reccomendation is laughable, but stupidity has never
stopped politicians from passing laws.

Peter Trei