When encryption is also authentication...

cypherpunk_reader cypherpunk at whitech.net
Thu May 30 08:33:41 PDT 2002

I ain't got that much schooling in these here matters, but it seems to me
that
in terms of the agreements, online agreements are pretty slacking when it
comes to verifying
that the end user actually read the document.

Most agreements online take advantage of the fact that a user is going to
skip reading the document
and jump straight to the "Agree" button.

If the end user insists on e-signing a document without having read it it is
there perogative,
but I think there should be a better system in place to insure that they
either read it or that
they did not read it but agree anyway.

Something along the lines of timers (set to an average number of minutes it
takes to read the average contract),
a keyword in the document itself that forces the user to peruse the document
to find the keyword, or at least
force the user to type "Agree" rather than just click a button.

But hey, realistically speaking, I doubt there is much enforcement going on
regarding these online contracts.
Do we want the Federale involved in how these contracts are designed or is
the industry going to self police?

CW