Government subsidies: our last, best hope for Cryptanarchy?

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Wed May 29 08:44:49 PDT 2002

Hey, most of your points about crypto going under the hood are well
taken.  I wanted to echo Peter Gutmann's comments about PGP, and add
that I see PGP as a protocol, and most of the protocols I use daily
(TCP, IP, UDP, DNS, HTTP, SMTP) have not changed in the last 10 years
and I don't need to upgrade my software to deal with them.  Looking at
PGP as a protocol gives you a different perspective.  (I also see
.doc, .xls and .ppt as protocols, and bad ones)

Adam

					               -Hume