Key verification schemes...

Curt Smith objectpascal at yahoo.com
Wed May 29 06:03:13 PDT 2002

I agree that neither CA-verification nor WoT-verification is as
useful as Key Fingerprint-verification for secure communication
between crypto-aware individuals.  After all, CA's can be
subverted and WoT is probably best used as a back-up option
when direct key verification is not possible.  Key Fingerprints
can be verified in both PGP and S/MIME, but neither system
enforces it.  I would prefer for Key Fingerprint-verification
to be more central to the system.

--- Eric Murray <ericm at lne.com> wrote:
> And to be honest, exactly zero of the PGP exchanges I have
> had have actually used the web of trust to really verify a
> PGP key.  I've only done it in testing.  In the real world, I

> either verify out of band (i.e. over the phone) or don't
> bother if the other party is too clueless to understand what
> I want to do and getting them to do PGP at all has already
> exausted my paticnce.

=====
end
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com