Edinburgh Financial Cryptography Engineering 2002 - CFP

Dan Geer geer at TheWorld.com
Mon May 27 14:34:54 PDT 2002

Peter,

>   Does anyone know what happened to the Usenix e-commerce
>   conferences?  They were in the vein of what FC used to be ...
>   there's also the EC-Web conference, although that has more of an
>   emphasis on web technology than EC.

I founded this series in 1995 and was proud to have done so; we ran
them in 1996 and 1998 as well, but the cutting edge quickly moved
away from USENIX's core and forte to where every conference organizer
on the planet had an e-commerce workshop of some sort up and running.
Whether these were technical, financial or sheer hype, the noise factor
was too great and we (USENIX Board of Directors) moved on to other
things where we could make a difference without having to wage an
advertising war in the middle of an investment bubble.

I'm open to suggestions, of course, but in the meantime you might
enjoy reminiscing about 1995 as seen through this lens:

http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/ec95/index.html

--dan
(current usenix president)