Jim-Bell-in-prison update

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sat May 25 04:22:29 PDT 2002

    Jim Bell update: Way back in the 1980s, entrepreneur Jim Bell owned a
    company that sold computer storage devices.

    Now Bell works in a California prison, demolishing computers and their
    monitors at the handsome wage of 46 cents an hour. "I've taken a day
    job destroying computer monitors," Bell said in a phone call from
    prison this week. "I've gone through about 100 so far."

    Bell is the infamous author of Assassination Politics, an essay that
    discusses ways to eliminate bothersome IRS agents. That captured the
    attention of the feds, who charged him with stalking federal agents.
    Last year, a jury found Bell guilty and he's been sentenced (PDF) to
    10 years.

    Bell says that it's easy to destroy a monitor without making it
    implode. "That almost never is impressive, particularly if you do it
    right," he says. "There's a little nib at the end of the CRT that if
    you hit it just right with the hammer it creates a small hiss. There's
    an ooomph if someone drops the monitor, but other than that it's
    pretty innocuous."

    He gets paid by Unicorp, the Justice Department-affiliated business
    that markets prison labor to federal agencies. Eventually, Bell says,
    he'll be making $1.07 an hour. "Some day."