NAI pulls out the DMCA stick

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu May 23 23:37:26 PDT 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002 10:34:22 -0400, Adam Shostack said:

> Is there any Open source implementation of the protocol?

Well, there is a Free Software implementation called NewPG which
provides a backend called gpgsm - very similar to gpg.  It is
currently under development but we already exchanged encrypted
messages with proprietary implementations.  This backend will
eventually be included with gpg.  It does not yet work for Windows but
making it work won't be very difficult.

Like gpg, gpgsm does not handle the MIME encapsulation because this is
something a MUA can handle much better.  We have support for KMail and
Mutt in the works and adding it to Sylpheed will be easy.  See:
http://www.gnupg.org/aegypten/

I don't suggest to use S/MIME; however in some domains (law conforming
digital signatures) there is currently no alternative for it.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner